Plot & Details
Native American filmmaker Chris Eyre directs the made-for-TV sports drama Edge of America, based on a true story and shot entirely in Salt Lake City, UT. James McDaniel plays Mr. Kenny Williams, a black man from Texas who moves out to Utah to accept a position as an English teacher at the Three Nations Reservation. He has a difficult time fitting in with the tight-knit Native American community, especially when he's asked to coach the high school girls' basketball team. He has to struggle with getting the hapless team back in shape to play against the nearby all-white high school. Also starring Irene Bedard, Tim Daly, and Wes Studi. Edge of America premiered in the U.S. at the Sundance Film Festival in 2004.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 106min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/03/2004
- DVD Release Date: 02/28/2006
- Distributor(s): Showtime
- Director(s): Chris Eyre
- Starring: James McDaniel , Irene Bedard , Tim Daly , Wes Studi , Delanna Studi
- Themes: Culture Clash,Basketball Players,Coaches and Players,Fish Out of Water,Teachers and Students
- Tone: Heartwarming,Warm
- Keywords: African-American, Indian (Native-American)-reservation, Native-American, basketball, coach, culture-clash, high-school, race-relations
- Language: English