Plot & Details
This French-Italian romantic drama is faithfully based on an early 19th century Goethe novel about the destruction of a married couple. They are Charlotte and Edouard, an aristocratic couple who married late in life and happily lives in a lovely Tuscan villa. Their peaceful, marital bliss is interrupted when Othon (Edourd's closest friend) and his goddaughter Ottilie, who was raised in a convent, arrive for an extended visit. The pregnant Charlotte immediately finds herself drawn to Othon while Edouard is attracted to the girl. As they act upon their impulses a tragedy ensues.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 98min.
- DVD Release Date: 05/17/2005
- Director(s): Paolo Taviani, Vittorio Taviani
- Starring: Isabelle Huppert , Jean-Hugues Anglade , Marie Gillain
- Themes: Infidelity,Love Triangles
- Tone: Melancholy,Passionate,Poignant
- Keywords: marriage-problems, aristocracy, goddaughter, love-triangle, marital-problems, marriage, pregnancy, tragic-love
- Country of Origin: France (06-11-1997)