Plot & Details
The feature-film debut of famed director Louis Malle is an interesting, modern film noir with the classic theme of lovers plotting to kill the husband and make it look like suicide (reminiscent of The Postman Always Rings Twice). Jeanne Moreau, as Florence Carala, gives an astonishing performance, perverse but naive as she leads her young lover down a path that can only lead to doom for both of them. Malle and his cinematographer Henri Decae make extensive use of Paris at night, giving the film the feel of claustrophobia and desperation reminiscent of the classic noir films. The excellent score by Miles Davis adds to the entire effect of this mystery thriller.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 92min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/24/2005
- DVD Release Date: 04/25/2006
- Distributor(s): Rialto Pictures
- Director(s): Louis Malle
- Starring: Jeanne Moreau , Maurice Ronet , Georges Poujouly , Lino Ventura , Jean Wall
- Themes: Treacherous Spouses,Femmes Fatales,Trapped or Confined,Perfect Crime
- Tone: Claustrophobic,Meditative,Menacing,Ominous,Stylish,Nocturnal,Atmospheric
- Keywords: elevator,extramarital-affair,husband,murder,police-detective,suicide,teenagers,tourist
- Language: French