Plot & Details
Escape From the Planet of the Apes is the third in the series of films based upon the Planet of the Apes characters created by novelist Pierre Boulle. At the end of the second film, the centuries-in-the-future world colonized by simians was destroyed, but apes Cornelius (Roddy McDowall) and Zira (Kim Hunter) were able to escape in the space vessel left behind by 20th century astronaut George Taylor (Charlton Heston). Cornelius and Zira pass through another time warp, finding themselves in the Earth of the 1970s. When they reveal their ability to speak, the apes are first treated as curiosities, then as threats when the government, believing the story that the Earth will eventually be inherited by monkeys, tries to prevent the birth of Zira's baby. They are ultimately given shelter by sympathetic circus owner Armando (Ricardo Montalban). This film was followed by the fourth "Apes" entry, 1972's Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.
- MPAA Rating: G
- Genre(s): Science Fiction
- Run Time: 97min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/21/1971
- DVD Release Date: 03/28/2006
- Director(s): Don Taylor
- Starring: Roddy McDowall , Kim Hunter
- Themes: Future Dystopias,Time Travel,Race Against Time,Monkeys,End of the World
- Tone: Rousing,Stylized,Tense
- Keywords: ape, carnival, escape, nuclear-holocaust, spacecraft, breeding, post-nuclear-holocaust, robbery, time-travel
- Language: English