Writer/director Michael Clancy makes his feature film debut with the black comedy Eulogy. Zooey Deschanel plays Kate Collins, an unhappy college student who is made even more unhappy when her grandfather (Rip Torn) dies. Even though the entire family hates each other, they reunite at the home of Grandma Collins (Piper Laurie). Among other family members, Kate observes a war between her washed-up actor dad, Daniel (Hank Azaria); her lesbian Aunt Lucy (Kelly Preston); her wound-up Uncle Skip (Ray Romano); and her strict Aunt Alice (Debra Winger). Tensions escalate and family secrets are ultimately revealed. Kate is also inundated with the eulogy-writing duties, as she's the only one capable of such a task. Meanwhile, she reunites with old flame Ryan Carmichael (Jesse Bradford). Eulogy premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2004.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 85min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/15/2004
- DVD Release Date: 02/08/2005
- Distributor(s): Artisan
- Themes: Sibling Relationships,Death of a Parent,Eccentric Families,Family Gatherings,Suburban Dysfunction
- Tone: Biting,Confrontational,Cynical,Irreverent,Talky
death-in-family, eulogy, family-dynamics, funeral, lesbianism, pornography
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (10-15-2004)
- Language: English