Plot & Details
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's narrative poem Evangeline briefly abandoned the curriculum of English Literature 101 for the purposes of this part-talkie screen adaptation. Dolores Del Rio stars as the title character, an Acadian lass whose marriage to kinsman Gabriel (Roland Drew) is forestalled by the British invasion of the Grand Pre region. Exiled from the territory along with most of the other Acadians, Gabriel is transported far, far away from Evangeline's arms. Our heroine spends the rest of the film in search of her sweetheart, but the two are reunited only after Gabriel falls mortally ill, and Evangeline has joined an order of nuns. The film was billed as a "talkie" by virtue of its two songs, both performed by Dolores Del Rio.
- Genre(s): Drama,Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 87min.
- DVD Release Date: 04/24/2001
- Distributor(s): United Artists
- Director(s): Edwin Carewe
- Starring: Dolores Del Rio , Roland Drew , Alec B. Francis , Donald Reed , Paul McAllister
- Themes: Star-Crossed Lovers
- Tone: Poignant,Sweeping,Tearjerking
- Keywords: disease, exile, invasion, marriage, reunion, separation, struggle
- Language: English