The spirit of the mega-hit Ghostbusters (1984) is intentionally recalled with this effects-heavy sci-fi comedy from the same director, Ivan Reitman, co-starring Dan Aykroyd and debuting on the 17th anniversary of the earlier film's release. When a meteor bearing single-celled organisms crashes to the Earth, the life forms are initially confined to a cave. Before long the creatures are evolving at an exponentially rapid rate, resulting in fearsome aliens running amok and possibly spelling mankind's doom, or at least the end of man's domination over life on Earth. Investigating the phenomenon is a community college professor, Ira Kane (David Duchovny), his geologist friend Harry Block (Orlando Jones), wannabe fireman Wayne Green (Seann William Scott), and government scientist Allison Reed (Julianne Moore). Evolution also stars Ted Levine, Ethan Suplee, and Katharine Towne.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Action,Comedy,Horror
- Run Time: 102min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/08/2001
- DVD Release Date: 12/26/2001
- Distributor(s): Dream Works
Seann William Scott
- Themes: End of the World,Heroic Mission,Unlikely Heroes,Evil Aliens
- Tone: Easygoing,Goofy,Humorous,Light,Silly,Slick,Witty
alien [not human], evolution, firefighter, government, man-vs-aliens, meteor, professor, scientist
- Country of Origin: USA (06-08-2001)
- Language: English