Plot & Details
Bearing traces of both Frankenstein and the 1959 Georges Franju horror classic Eyes without a Face, the Japanese The Face of Another is a disturbing Japanese drama featuring Tatsuya Nakadai. His face horribly disfigured in an accident, Nakadai, a wealthy industrialist, commissions a special mask from a renowned plastic surgeon. Nakadai's wife fails to recognize her husband and makes advances to him, which effectively destroys their relationship. Driven insane, Nakadai turns to murder to compensate for the loss of his identity. The melodramatic elements of the film are neatly blended with moments of erotica and generous doses of existential philosophy. The Face of Another is another thought-provoking "documentary fantasy" from the director of the cult classic Woman in the Dunes.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Science Fiction
- Run Time: 124min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/12/2005
- Distributor(s): Toho
- Director(s): Hiroshi Teshigahara
- Starring: Tatsuya Nakadai , Machiko Kyo , Kyoko Kishida , Eiji Okada , Mikijiro Hira
- Themes: Assumed Identities,Metamorphosis,Unlikely Criminals
- Tone: Creepy,Disturbing,Moody,Tense
- Keywords: accident, industrialist, plastic-surgery, disfigurement, face, murder
- Language: Japanese