Plot & Details
Devastated after being fired by director Woody Allen, actress Annabelle Gurwitch sets out on a soul-searching journey to discover whether getting the axe was the best or worst thing ever to happen in her professional career. Anyone who has been in the workforce for an extended amount of time has likely been there -- one minute you've got a good-paying job that you love, and the next minute you're standing in the unemployment line. When Annabelle Gurwitch got fired by the legendary director of such classics as Annie Hall and The Purple Rose of Cairo, she thought her career was over. Upon turning to her many showbiz pals for advice, however, Gurwitch quickly discovered that she was not alone. In this documentary, Gurwitch enlists the aid of filmmakers Chris Bradley and Kyle La Brache in traveling the country to interview such celebrities as Tim Allen, David Cross, Sarah Silverman, and Jeff Garlin to find out exactly how they dealt with the heavy hand of rejection. Additional interviews with GM workers in Lansing, MI, who were handed their pink slips offer some tales that are tragically comedic and others that seems to reinforce the old adage about one door closing and another door opening, while a visit to job fairs and "outplacement services" show just what the jobless endure on a day-to-day basis. Conversations with the downsizers as well as the downsized offer viewers a chance to explore the topic from both sides as host Gurwitch reminds viewers that sometimes the greatest success stories are born of failure.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Documentary
- Run Time: 71min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/02/2007
- DVD Release Date: 06/05/2007
- Distributor(s): Int'l Film Circuit
- Director(s): Chris Bradley, Kyle La Brache
- Starring: Tim Allen , Andy Borowitz , David Cross , Andy Dick , Tate Donovan
- Themes: Fired or Laid-Off
- Tone: Irreverent,Reflective,Wry
- Keywords: cutbacks, downsizing, economic-problems, hiring, job-loss, perspectives, testimonials, unemployment, work [occupation]
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (02-02-2007)
- Language: English