Plot & Details
The celebrated author of 1975's Shogun, James Clavell, directs (and produced and wrote) this effective, if low-budget World War II drama. The story takes place in French Indochina (later Vietnam) where a group of two Red Cross doctors and seven nurses are captured by a guerrilla band and taken to the side of a grievously ill warlord. The realities of war and its effects on everyone are brought forward as the doctors are eventually killed, and the nurses use sex as a means of escaping their captors. Brutal scenes of the stabbing of a patient under surgery and the symbolic murder of a nun are qualified by the even-handed portrayal of the damage war does to the human side of human nature.
- Genre(s): Action,Drama
- Run Time: 98min.
- Distributor(s): 20th Century Fox
- Director(s): James Clavell
- Starring: Neville Brand , Benson Fong , Ken Scott , John Morley , Pat Owens
- Themes: Doctors and Patients
- Tone: Confrontational,Disturbing,Downbeat,Forceful,Tense
- Keywords: Asia, China, capture, custom [habit or practice], death, escape, group, hospital, invasion, kidnapping, lord, mercenary, nun, pleasure, prison, security-guard, sensitivity, sexual, soldier, warlord, atrocity