Greg Kinnear stars in director Marc Abraham's man-against-the-system docudrama Flash of Genius as inventor Robert Kearns, the visionary who developed the modern intermittent windshield wiper. Kearns submitted the invention to each of the big three auto companies, each of which promptly rejected it; the companies then turned around and put the device to use. The enraged inventor spent several decades attempting to collect on his patent, and mounting lawsuits that traveled all the way to the Supreme Court; he eventually collected over 30 million dollars for his obsession. Abraham co-authored the script with Scott Frank and Phillip Railsback, adapting an article by John Seabrook that originally appeared in The New Yorker. Dermot Mulroney plays Kinnear's best friend, with Lauren Graham rounding out the supporting cast.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 119min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/03/2008
- DVD Release Date: 02/17/2009
- Distributor(s): Universal
- Themes: Underdogs,Mental Breakdown,Obsessive Quests,Inventors,Fighting the System
- Tone: Earnest,Reflective,Stirring
industry, innovation, invention, inventor, lawsuit, obsession, patent, visionary
- Country of Origin: USA (10-03-2008)
- Language: English