A high-strung mom and her punky daughter learn what it's like to walk in each other's shoes -- literally -- in Disney's second update of their 1977 teen fantasy comedy. The new-millennium Freaky Friday has disgruntled teen Anna Coleman (Lindsay Lohan) living, sans father, with her uptight therapist-author mom Tess (Jamie Lee Curtis) and bratty brother Harry (Ryan Malgarini). The angst between the two reaches a fever pitch on the eve of Tess' wedding rehearsal: Anna wants to ditch the proceedings for an all-important band audition, but Tess sees the conflict as a show of resentment toward imminent step-dad Ryan (Mark Harmon). When the whole clan goes out to dinner at their favorite Chinese restaurant, their sage waitress (Lucille Soong) picks up on the tension between the mother and daughter and casts a spell on them via two magic fortune cookies. The next day, Tess and Anna must put up with life in each other's bodies -- until, as the fortune says, they can come to a greater understanding of one another. Freaky Friday was previously remade for TV in 1995 with Shelley Long and Gaby Hoffman in the leads.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama,Family
- Run Time: 96min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 08/06/2003
- DVD Release Date: 12/16/2003
- Distributor(s): Buena Vista
Mark S. Waters
Jamie Lee Curtis
- Themes: Wedding Bells,Generation Gap,Wishes Come True,Managing Parental Relationships [k],Trading Bodies,Mothers and Daughters
- Tone: Affectionate,Goofy,Heartwarming,Light,Madcap
body-switching, daughter, high-school, mother, stepfather, teenagers, therapist, widow/widower
- Country of Origin: USA (08-06-2003)
- Language: English