Plot & Details
The worst in a string of increasingly pointless sequels to Sean S. Cunningham's crude slasher hit, this installment provided clear evidence that the "slasher" subgenre, already creatively dead, was no longer financially viable. This time around, unstoppable supernatural thug Jason Voorhees -- imprisoned at the bottom of a lake by his telekinetic foe Tina in the previous film -- is reanimated yet again after being goosed by an underwater electrical cable, freeing him to stow away aboard a shipload of standard-issue obnoxious teenagers en route to Manhattan. The title ultimately proves a bit of a cheat, since the majority of Jason's homicidal hijinks take place aboard the ship until the film's final reel, during which he pursues a handful of survivors through the streets of the Big Apple. Thanks to heavy MPAA cuts, the mayhem is more subdued here than in any other films of the series -- splatter fans primed by the previous chapters' copious bloodletting will be left high and dry. Despite a very amusing "teaser" trailer that suggested that the film might be a semi-parody, writer/director Rob Hedden and company play things tediously straight.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Horror
- Run Time: 96min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/26/1989
- DVD Release Date: 09/03/2002
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Rob Hedden
- Starring: Jensen Daggett , Scott Reeves , Mark Richman , Barbara Bingham , V.C. Dupree
- Themes: Serial Killers
- Tone: Lurid,Menacing,Tense,Visceral
- Keywords: cruise, escape, hallucination, killing, lake, mask [disguise], serial-killer, electrical-shock, rampage, slasher, teenagers
- Country of Origin: USA (07-28-1989)
- Language: English