Plot & Details
Director Bob Clark, whose previous cinematic endeavors ran the gamut from Porky's to A Christmas Story, called the shots on From the Hip. Fresh out of law school, Robin Weathers (Judd Nelson) is hired by a law firm not known for its ethics. Weathers' first client is a man who, up to trial time, was perfectly willing to cop a plea. Instead, the novice lawyer sharkishly secures a "not guilty" verdict--not to mention a public reputation as a live wire. His jealous older colleagues decide to get even with Weathers by assigning him a case that cannot possibly be won. Thus it is that Weathers is assigned to defend insufferable murder suspect Douglas Benoit (John Hurt), who refuses to cooperate with his attorney even though he's facing a death sentence.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 112min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 02/06/1987
- DVD Release Date: 10/09/2001
- Distributor(s): De Laurentiis Entertainment Group
- Director(s): Bob Clark
- Starring: Elizabeth Perkins , John Hurt , Darren McGavin , Dan Monahan
- Themes: Lawyers,Work Ethics,Crisis of Conscience
- Tone: Bittersweet,Confrontational,Earnest,Humorous,Moody
- Keywords: courtroom, killing, lawyer, professor, bad-guy, ego, good-guy
- Country of Origin: USA (02-06-1987)
- Language: English