Plot & Details
Writer/director Michele Maher makes her feature debut with the satirical black comedy Garmento. Set in the garment district in N.Y.C. during the early '90s, fashion rookie Grindy Malone (Katie MacNichol) gets a job as an assistant to Ronnie Grossman (David Thornton), executive for Poncho Ramirez Inc. She meets the other industry players, including haughty Franca Fortuna (Saundra Santiago), assistant Rimi Stone (Gretchen Cleevely), flamboyant Jasper Judson (Jason Butler Harner), and designer Poncho Ramirez (Juan Carlos Hernandez) himself. After the company loses money from a failed line of padded men's underwear, Grindy suggests they bring back their line of jeans from the '70s. Poncho Ramirez then merges with rival Romeo Jeans, headed by the corrupt Ira Gold (Jerry Grayson) and Louie Purdaro (Matt Servitto). The successful product becomes high in demand, leading to shady business dealings and an advertising controversy. Grindy quickly loses her innocence and becomes entrenched in the world of corporate greed.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 87min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/06/2003
- Distributor(s): Independent Artists
- Director(s): Michele Maher
- Starring: Katie MacNichol , David Thornton , Jerry Grayson , Saundra Santiago , Gretchen Cleevely
- Themes: Ladder to the Top,Fashion World,Work Ethics
- Tone: Biting,Cynical,Irreverent,Satirical
- Keywords: designer, fashion, fashion-industry, greed, textile-business
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (06-06-2003)
- Language: English