Plot & Details
The Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara becomes this sprawling historical epic. As in Shaara's novel, director Ronald Maxwell focuses on a handful of major players to dramatize the events of July 1863, when the armies of the Union and Confederacy clash at the small Pennsylvania town of the title. Among them are Martin Sheen as General Robert E. Lee, who disagrees with his top advisor, General James Longstreet (Tom Berenger) over battle strategy, and Jeff Daniels as Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, a college professor whose unorthodox techniques save the day (and possibly the war) for his beleaguered army. Other cast standouts include Richard Jordan in his final film appearance as the ill-fated General Lewis Armistead, and cameo roles for Civil War buff Ken Burns and media mogul producer Ted Turner. Filmed on-location at Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg was shot as a television miniseries for Turner's TNT cable channel, but earned a limited theatrical release.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Drama,Epic and Historical
- Run Time: 271min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/15/1994
- DVD Release Date: 02/03/2004
- Director(s): Ronald F. Maxwell
- Starring: Martin Sheen , Jeff Daniels , Tom Berenger , Stephen Lang , Richard Jordan
- Themes: Great Battles
- Tone: Gritty,Sweeping,Visceral
- Keywords: Civil-War [US], battlefield, cavalry, friendship, mutiny, prison, battle [war], war, weapons
- Language: English