Plot & Details
Ivan Reitman's sequel to the phenomenally successful Ghostbusters is looser and more self-assured than the original. The film opens with a title reading "Five Years Later" and finds the ghostbusters living in hard times. A restraining order has forbidden the boys to partake in paranormal warfare, and as a result they have had to seek other lines of work. Ray (Dan Aykroyd) and Winston (Ernie Hudson) spend their time performing at children's' birthday parties, and Egon (Harold Ramis) is busy conducting experiments investigating the effect of human emotions on the environment, leaving ghostbusting behind. Venkman (Bill Murray) and Dana (Sigourney Weaver) have split up. Venkman now hosts a local cable show called "The World of the Psychic." Dana, now divorced and the mother of a little baby named Oscar, works as an art restorer in a museum -- and this is where the plot kicks in. While Dana is restoring a portrait of a 16th-century tyrant by the name of Vigo the Carpathian, the portrait becomes hexed. The evil Vigo wants to return to life by taking over the body of Dana's little child. Vigo has enlisted Dana's boss, Janosz Poha (Peter MacNicol), to compel Dana to cooperate. Soon dirty sludge and slime flow through the streets of Manhattan, and the ghostbusters have to reunite to save the city from a funky paranormal evil.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy,Fantasy
- Run Time: 102min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/16/1989
- DVD Release Date: 06/29/1999
- Distributor(s): Columbia Pictures
- Director(s): Ivan Reitman
- Starring: Bill Murray , Dan Aykroyd , Sigourney Weaver , Harold Ramis , Rick Moranis
- Themes: Underdogs,Demonic Possession
- Tone: Deadpan,Easygoing,Humorous,Irreverent,Quirky,Silly
- Keywords: baby, ghost, painting
- Country of Origin: USA (06-16-1989)
- Language: English