Plot & Details
The feminist horror film genre might not have very many prominent entries, but the critically acclaimed 2000 film Ginger Snaps was just that. A darkly humorous chiller that drew parallels between menstruation and a werewolf curse, the John Fawcett picture garnered several Canadian Genie Award nominations and a loyal cult following. Four years later, Brett Sullivan, the film's editor, made his feature directorial debut with this sequel, Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed. Katharine Isabelle and Emily Perkins reprise their roles from the first film as sisters Ginger and Brigitte, respectively. This time around, Brigitte is found by the police after being attacked and taken to rehab when it's assumed that the wolfbane serum that keeps her from turning into a monster is a narcotic. Once inside the facility and denied the substance, Brigitte must strike deals with one of the orderlies to obtain it; meanwhile, she is pursued by another werewolf, and escapes with Ghost, another female patient, to that girl's vacant old house, which sets the stage for a brutal showdown -- made even nastier when the orderly, a hospital doctor, and the elderly Barbara show up and decide to intervene. Also starring Tatiana Maslany, Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed was followed only a few months later by Ginger Snaps Back.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Horror
- Run Time: 93min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/04/2004
- DVD Release Date: 04/13/2004
- Distributor(s): Lions Gate Films
- Director(s): Brett Sullivan
- Starring: Emily Perkins , Katharine Isabelle , Tatiana Maslany , Janet Kidder , Eric Johnson
- Themes: Doctors and Patients,Drug Addiction,Werewolves
- Tone: Grim,Slick,Gruesome
- Keywords: curse, drugs, killing, misunderstanding, rehabilitation [detox], serum, sister, werewolf
- Country of Origin: Canada (01-23-2004)
- Language: English