Plot & Details
Director Sidney Lumet has remade the 1980 movie by his contemporary, John Cassavetes, casting Sharon Stone in the role of Gloria (portrayed in the original by Cassavetes' wife, Gena Rowlands), a street-toughened woman sliding into middle age. When the neighbors are murdered by a group of mobsters, one of which is a former boyfriend, Gloria takes the couple's seven-year-old son (Jean-Luke Figueroa) on the run. In time, she learns why the boy's parents were killed, and maybe just a little about herself. Sidney Lumet, director of '70s classics Network and Dog Day Afternoon, focuses more on the relationship between Gloria and the boy than did the original. Coincidentally, this would make the film very similar to the Brazilian Central Station, released at virtually the same time.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/22/1999
- DVD Release Date: 05/25/1999
- Distributor(s): Sony
- Director(s): Sidney Lumet
- Starring: Sharon Stone , Jean-Luke Figueroa , Jeremy Northam , Cathy Moriarty , George C. Scott
- Themes: Down on Their Luck,One Against the Mob,Orphans,Mothers and Sons,Protecting the Innocent
- Tone: Compassionate,Confrontational,Gritty,Poignant,Tense
- Keywords: child,gangster,informer,murder,on-the-run
- Country of Origin: USA (01-22-1999)
- Language: English