Plot & Details
Go Tell the Spartans is set in Vietnam during that period in which American troops were euphemistically termed "advisors". Reluctantly dispensing much of that advice is veteran American major Asa Barker (Burt Lancaster). Though he knows what works and what doesn't on the battlefield, Barker is obliged to carry out the go-nowhere policies of the American military brass. His current objective is a woebegone, barely crucial outpost, which he must defend with a handful of green soldiers and end-of-tether Vietnamese militiamen. True to his predictions, the outpost is overwhelmed by the Vietcong, who have something to fight about and are ruthless in their tactics. Before the relief troops can arrive, virtually everyone is senselessly killed, including Barker. The only survivor is Corporal Stephen Courcey (Craig Wasson), a willing draftee whose initial idealism dies along with his comrades. Wendell Mayes adapted Go Tell the Spartans from the novel Incident at Muc Wa by Daniel Ford.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Action,Drama,War
- Run Time: 114min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/26/2000
- DVD Release Date: 08/30/2005
- Distributor(s): No Studio
- Director(s): Ted Post
- Starring: Burt Lancaster , Craig Wasson , Jonathan Lippe , Marc Singer , Joe Unger
- Themes: Military Life,Great Battles
- Tone: Bleak,Gritty,Somber
- Keywords: mercenary, allegiance, battle [war], squadron, switching-loyalty, veteran [military], war