Plot & Details
In a universe presumably ruled by a benevolent, all-powerful God, how can events such as the Holocaust possibly come to pass? This is the question posed by a group of inmates in Auschwitz, the Third Reich's most notorious death camp, in this reflective war drama written by Frank Cottrell Boyce (Millions, Code 46), and directed by Andy DeEmmony (Filth: The Mary Whitehouse Story). Realizing that their extermination is imminent, the prisoners attempt to make sense of their fate by putting God on trial. How is it that the deity they call the Almighty could abandon His chosen people in their hour of need? As the sound of prisoners being marched to the gas chambers drifts hauntingly through the walls, the trial gets underway. The questions posed during the inquest are profoundly difficult and deeply complex, and as the hour draws near when they, too, will face death at the hands of their captors, the thoughtful prisoners finally reach a verdict.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 85min.
- DVD Release Date: 01/13/2009
- Director(s): Andy DeEmmony
- Starring: Antony Sher , Rupert Graves , Dominic Cooper , Stellan Skarsgård , Stephen Dillane
- Themes: Crisis of Faith,Crimes Against Humanity
- Keywords: God, Holocaust, Jewish, anti-Semitism, concentration-camp, suffering, trial [courtroom]
- Language: English