Plot & Details
Where the original Gremlins was a horror film spiked with comedy, Gremlins 2: The New Batch is essentially a black comedy, with a couple of horrifying touches. As the film starts, the fantastical trinket shop in Chinatown, which sold the Mogwai in the first film, is demolished by a crazed multi-media businessman called Daniel Clamp (John Glover). The heroes from the first movie, Billy (Zach Galligan) and Kate (Phoebe Cates), happen to work for Clamp in his huge high-rise. They find the Mogwai within Clamp's building, but not before he has accidentally spawned legions of mischievous, lizard-like Gremlins. Soon, the Gremlins are wreaking havoc throughout the building. In the original film, their misdeeds were violent, but here they're also goofy and satirical. Director Joe Dante has filled the film with quick verbal and visual jokes, which, for many, makes Gremlins 2: The New Batch a satire and inversion of the typical horror film.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy,Horror
- Run Time: 107min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/05/1990
- DVD Release Date: 08/20/2002
- Status: In Theaters
- Distributor(s): Warner Brothers
- Director(s): Joe Dante
- Starring: Zach Galligan , Phoebe Cates , John Glover , Robert Prosky , Robert Picardo
- Themes: Technology Run Amok,Unlikely Heroes,Mad Scientists,Experiments Gone Awry
- Tone: Affectionate,Fanciful,Goofy,Lavish,Madcap,Silly
- Keywords: billionaire, experiment, laboratory, mutant, scientist, skyscraper, creature, mad-scientist, monster, rampage, satire, science-runs-amok, tour-guide
- Country of Origin: USA (06-15-1990)
- Language: English