Plot & Details
This cheerful holiday comedy, a surprise box office smash, featured a generous dollop of raunchy, crude humor and was greatly elevated by the presence of masterful performers in the lead roles. Jack Lemmon is John Gustafson, an ice-fishing Minnesota native who has been feuding with his neighbor and former best friend Max Goldman (Walter Matthau) for decades. The battle of wills between John and Max is characterized by crude name calling and harmless practical jokes. Max is unaware that John is having serious problems, chiefly that his daughter Melanie (Daryl Hannah) is experiencing marital woes and that his house is about to be confiscated by an officious IRS agent (Buck Henry). When it seems that John and Max may finally put aside their childish rivalry, however, sexy new neighbor Ariel (Ann-Margret) arrives and dates both men, pitting them against each other more fiercely than ever before. Despite their mutual loathing, the death of a friend, John's problems, and a budding romance between Max's son Jacob (Kevin Pollak) and Melanie may force the two old friends to reconcile.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 105min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/15/1994
- DVD Release Date: 06/25/1997
- Director(s): Donald Petrie
- Starring: George O'Brien , Jack Lemmon , Heather Angel , Walter Matthau , John Carradine
- Themes: Love Triangles,Faltering Friendships,Feuds
- Tone: Bittersweet,Deadpan,Affectionate,Earnest,Easygoing,Irreverent,Light,Madcap,Witty,Humorous
- Keywords: daughter,father,feud,friendship,heart-attack,hospital,ice-fishing,lottery,love,love-triangle,rescue,rival,romance,television,wedding,widow/widower
- Language: English