Plot & Details
Michael Keaton stars as a wheeler-dealer who hopes to save a failing Pennsylvania automobile-assembly factory from having to close its doors. Keaton persuades a Japanese auto firm to reopen the factory, retrain its staff, and streamline the operation. It isn't long before the American-born workers grow to resent the disciplinary demands of their new Japanese bosses, setting the stage for a comic clash of cultures. The day is saved when it turns out that the poker-faced owner of the auto company possesses a really strange sense of humor. Gung Ho was later spun off into a short-lived TV sitcom, starring Scott Bakula of Quantum Leap fame.
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 111min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/14/1986
- DVD Release Date: 07/16/2002
- Distributor(s): Paramount
- Director(s): Ron Howard
- Starring: Michael Keaton , Gedde Watanabe , George Wendt , Mimi Rogers , John Turturro
- Themes: Labor Unions,Boss from Hell,Fighting the System,Culture Clash
- Tone: Earnest,Quirky,Humorous
- Keywords: unemployment, Asia, business, cultural-shock, friendship, labor-relations, takeover
- Country of Origin: USA (03-14-1986)
- Language: English