Plot & Details
Kevin Kline directed this television adaptation of the New York Shakespeare Festival's 1990 production of Shakespeare's most famous tragedy, in which Kline also stars as the melancholy Danish prince. Deeply saddened by the death of his father, Hamlet (Kline) is shocked to discover his mother, Queen Gertrude (Dana Ivey), has already taken a new husband, Claudius (Brian Murray), the brother of the late King. Visited by the shade of his late father, Hamlet is told that Claudius rose to his new status through murder, and the son is soon torn over what action he should take; meanwhile, Ophelia (Diane Venora) descends into madness. This adaptation of Hamlet was originally produced for PBS, where it first aired in 1990.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 165min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/19/1990
- DVD Release Date: 09/18/2001
- Director(s): Kevin Kline, Kirk Browning
- Themes: Mothers and Sons,Crowned Heads
- Tone: Austere,Literate,Talky,Tense
- Keywords: Denmark, ghost, king, madness, mother, murder, prince, uncle
- Country of Origin: USA (12-19-1990)