Johanna Parry (Kristen Wiig) is a profoundly shy, unadorned woman who is hired by Mr. McCauley (Nick Nolte) as a housekeeper and a primary caregiver to his granddaughter Sabitha (Hailee Steinfeld). Despite her outgoing nature, Sabitha carries wounds from the death of her mother years before, complicated by the circumstances of that death for which her grandfather still blames her father, Ken (Guy Pearce), a hapless recovering drug addict with a certain ragged charm. In an act of mean-spirited rebellion, Sabitha uses technology to foster a pseudo-relationship between Johanna and her father, never dreaming of the potential harm to either party. Sabitha doesn't understand that Johanna is not a demure cut-out, but rather a woman for whom the phrase "still waters run deep" could have been coined. The young girl's interference provokes Johanna to indulge in something long missing from her life: the dream of a future and a home of her own.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 102min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/11/2014
- Distributor(s): IFC Films
- Themes: Drug Addiction,Opposites Attract,Fathers and Daughters,Death in the Family,Servants and Employers,Schemes and Ruses
- Tone: Intimate,Quirky,Understated
deception, drug-addiction, family, love, maid
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-11-2014)
- Language: English