Plot & Details
A mother's love turns deadly in the wake of an organ transplant in the thriller Heart. Gary Ellis (Christopher Eccleston) is a businessman, while his wife Tess (Kate Hardie) works in television. Gary and Tess don't get along very well, largely because he's convinced she's having an affair. One day, Gary has a major heart attack, and is soon confined to a wheelchair while doctors wait for a suitable donor for a heart transplant. Tess takes this opportunity to finally start having that affair Gary's been talking about, with a writer named Alex (Rhys Ifans). One day, Gary is rushed to the hospital after Sean (Matthew Rhys), a teenage aspiring boxer, is brought to the emergency room near death. Sean dies, and his heart is transplanted to Gary. After recovery, Gary is a new man, and Tess is so delighted she gives Alex his walking papers. But then Sean's mother Maria (Saskia Reeves) enters the picture; while at first Gary wanted to know what sort of person's heart was beating in his chest, now Maria is trying to work her way into the Ellis's lives, certain her son's hopes and dreams now live on in Gary's chest. Shot in 1997, Heart didn't receive a release in Europe until 1999, though it did play several film festivals the previous year.
- Genre(s): Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 83min.
- DVD Release Date: 01/29/2002
- Distributor(s): Feature Film Co. (U.K.)
- Director(s): Charles McDougall
- Starring: Christopher Eccleston , Saskia Reeves , Kate Hardie , Rhys Ifans , Anna Chancellor
- Themes: Infidelity,Crumbling Marriages,Death of a Child,Intersecting Lives
- Tone: Bleak,Ominous,Tense
- Keywords: blood, extramarital-affair, heart-transplant, jealousy, mother, wheelchair
- Language: English