Plot & Details
This uninspiring drama was unfortunately the last feature film directed by Richard Marquard and was released posthumously. Bob Dylan plays the retired and reclusive rock star (there's a stretch) Billy Parker who falls for aspiring rocker Molly McGuire (Fiona) and takes her under his wing on his tour of England to benefit from his experience. When Molly is "discovered" by lecherous music promoter James Colt (Rupert Everett), Billy flies the coop back to his stateside chicken farm while Molly makes music magic. Billy and Molly are eventually reunited when she returns for a triumphant tour of the United States. Songs from Dylan, Neil Young, Shel Silverstein, Andy Goldmark, Tony Swan, Wang Chung, John Dexter, Cyril Neville, John Hiatt, and Steve Jolley help the thin script and uninspired thesping. The film opens up with the 1982 hit Tainted Love from Soft Cell. Musicians Ian Dury and Richie Havens are included in the acting cast. One can only wonder if the feature was just wrapped up too quickly after the untimely death of Marquand from a stroke at age 49 on September 4th, 1987.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 90min.
- Distributor(s): Lorimar Productions
- Director(s): Richard Marquand
- Starring: Bob Dylan , Rupert Everett , Fiona , Julian Glover , Suzanne Bertish
- Themes: Ladder to the Top,Musician's Life
- Tone: Earnest,Stylized
- Keywords: killing, music, rock-music, songwriter, stalking, behind-the-scenes, love, self-discovery, stars [celebrities]