Plot & Details
Director Danis Tanovic picks up where the late-Krzysztof Kieslowski left off by taking on the second installment of Kieslowski's "Heaven," "Hell," and "Purgatory" trilogy (the first was adapted by Run Lola Run director Tom Tykwer) with this tale of a family whose dark past returns with a vengeance. Loosely modeled by screenwriter Krzysztof Piesiewicz on the second act of Dante's Inferno, Hell tells the story of sisters Sophie (Emmanuelle Béart), Céline (Karin Viard), and Anne (Marie Gillain), whose lives were turned upside down when their father was imprisoned and their mother was rendered a wheelchair-bound mute. As the estranged sisters are slowly brought back together by a mysterious and handsome stranger who is somehow involved with the tragic events of the past, the questions that had for years gone unanswered slowly begin to drift into focus.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 101min.
- Distributor(s): Focus Features (US), Momentum Pictures
- Director(s): Danis Tanovic
- Starring: Emmanuelle Béart , Karin Viard , Marie Gillain , Carole Bouquet , Guillaume Canet
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Mothers and Daughters,Sibling Relationships
- Keywords: dysfunctional, family, father, prison, sister, stranger
- Language: French