Plot & Details
The owner of an Irish castle decides to attract visitors by falsely claiming that the building is haunted, only to have a pair of real ancestral spirits start causing trouble in this uneven attempt at fantasy-comedy. The story centers on Jack and Sharon (played by Steve Guttenberg and Beverly D'Angelo), naive American tourists who are initially unimpressed by the owner's attempts at fraud but become more interested in the real ghosts, Mary and Martin (played by Daryl Hannah and Liam Neeson). This is especially true for Jack, who falls in love with the beautiful Mary, despite several centuries' difference in their ages. After the film's initial unsuccessful release, people involved with the production blamed studio interference for damaging director Neil Jordan's original vision, although Jordan is better known as a director of quirky, dark dramas (Mona Lisa, The Crying Game, Interview With a Vampire, The Company of Wolves). For whatever reason, the end result was an awkward, forced comedy that more often than not falls flat, squandering a strong collection of talent.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Fantasy
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/18/1988
- DVD Release Date: 06/04/2002
- Distributor(s): Tri-Star
- Director(s): Neil Jordan
- Starring: Daryl Hannah , Peter O'Toole , Steve Guttenberg , Beverly D'Angelo , Liam Neeson
- Themes: Cons and Scams,Ghosts,Supernatural Romance
- Tone: Fanciful,Light,Humorous
- Keywords: American [nationality], Ireland, castle, ghost, haunted, love, tourist
- Country of Origin: USA (11-18-1988)
- Language: English