Plot & Details
With the ultimate throw-down -- "There can be only one" -- Highlander captured the imaginations of fantasy fans seeking a well-executed swordplay epic, becoming a cult classic in the process. Connor MacLeod (Christopher Lambert) is one of a waning few survivors of a clan of immortals. The breed have been dueling each other for centuries in the quest to be the last one remaining, and hence achieve a supreme enlightenment that would be dangerous in the wrong hands. The immortals can only die by decapitation, so they hunt each other over the centuries and across continents to meet for each decisive duel, which will bring one of them a step closer to ultimate power. In present-day America, the troubled hero MacLeod lives a brooding and lonely existence, having lost his true love centuries ago. The evil Kurgan (Clancy Brown), an immortal who plans to use his power toward unspeakable ends, has fought MacLeod before but is still trying to finish him off. After emerging victorious from a parking garage skirmish with the third-to-last immortal, MacLeod knows that only Kurgan is left, and the two are on a collision path toward the inevitable. In the film's numerous flashbacks to the past, Sean Connery plays Ramirez, the immortal who first tutors MacLeod after the hero survives a mortal battle wound, prompting his fearful village to banish him. Roxanne Hart plays MacLeod's modern-day love interest, who tries to help him while struggling to believe his incredible story. The director's cut runs four minutes shorter.
- Genre(s): Fantasy
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/07/1986
- DVD Release Date: 05/16/2000
- Distributor(s): 20th Century Fox
- Director(s): Russell Mulcahy
- Starring: Christopher Lambert , Roxanne Hart , Clancy Brown , Sean Connery , Beatie Edney
- Themes: Lone Wolves,Immortality,Heroic Mission
- Tone: Quirky,Earnest,Fanciful,Gritty,Menacing,Atmospheric
- Keywords: past, revenge, warrior, clan, duel, good-vs-evil, immortality, rival, sword-and-sorcery, time-travel
- Country of Origin: USA (03-07-1986)
- Language: English