Plot & Details
A "Hobson's Choice," as any slang expert will tell you, is no choice at all. In this 1953 filmization of Harold Brighouse's 1915 play Hobson's Choice, hero John Mills finds after several reels of evidence to the contrary that he does have a choice over how he'll conduct his life after all. Mills is the assistant to domineering boot-shop owner Charles Laughton, who lords it over his employees and three daughters by day, then tumbles through the streets on many a drunken evening. Laughton's "old-maid" daughter Brenda DeBanzie breaks free of her father's tyranny, marries Mills, and together with her new husband sets up a rival boot shop when Laughton refuses her a dowry. Father rants and raves, but finally agrees to a merger with his daughter that will assure Mills a large measure of freedom over managing things. The winner of the British Film Institute "Best Film" award of 1954, Hobson's Choice chalked up another international success for director David Lean.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama
- Run Time: 102min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/30/2008
- DVD Release Date: 02/17/2009
- Director(s): David Lean
- Starring: Charles Laughton , John Mills , Brenda de Banzie , Daphne Anderson , Prunella Scales
- Themes: Alcoholism,Generation Gap,Success is the Best Revenge,Fathers and Daughters
- Tone: Understated,Humorous,Satirical,Biting,Witty
- Keywords: bride, daughter, groom [bridegroom], marriage, romance, widow/widower, May-December-romance, family, forbidden-love
- Language: English
Berlin International Film Festival
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1954||Berlin International Film Festival||Golden Bear||Won|