Plot & Details
Hotel du Nord was the second in Marcel Carne's trio of "fatalistic romantic melodramas", bracketed on either side by Quai des Brumes and Le Jour se Leve. Star-crossed lovers Annabella and Jean-Pierre Aumont draw up a suicide pact, making their fatal rendezvous at the Hotel du Nord. Aumont shoots Annabella, but loses his nerve when time comes to take his own life. Seedy criminal Louis Jouvet and his mistress Arletty help Aumont to escape the authorities-but he can't very well run away from himself. Happily, Annabella recovers from her wounds and forgives the repentant Aumont. Fate, however, has other things in store for the tormented hero, as elucidated by the grimly ironic ending.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 92min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/18/2006
- Distributor(s): Societe d'Exploitation ed de Distribution de Films
- Director(s): Marcel Carné
- Starring: Arletty , Louis Jouvet , Annabella , Jean-Pierre Aumont , Jane Marken [Jeanne]
- Themes: Star-Crossed Lovers,Suicide,Lovers Reunited
- Tone: Bleak,Downbeat,Elegiac,Melancholy
- Keywords: criminal, star-crossed-lovers, suicide-pact
- Language: French