Plot & Details
The posh St. Gregory Hotel in New Orleans is the setting for this drama based on a popular novel by Arthur Hailey. Trent (Melvyn Douglas) is the long-time owner who realizes that the hotel is in dire financial straits. Trent calls on faithful manager Peter McDermott (Rod Taylor) to try and bring about the necessary reversal of fortune so that they can stay in business. After the Duke (Michael Rennie) and Duchess (Merle Oberon) of Lanbourne check in, the Duke is involved in a vehicular homicide after he has too much to drink. His car is traced back to the St. Gregory by hotel detective Dupere (Richard Conte), who blackmails the Duke. Although not on the same level of Grand Hotel, the film contains first-rate performances from a fine cast portraying a variety of eccentric guests.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 135min.
- Distributor(s): Warner Brothers
- Director(s): Richard Quine
- Starring: Rod Taylor , Catherine Spaak , Karl Malden , Melvyn Douglas , Merle Oberon
- Themes: Crowned Heads,Blackmail,Stop the Wrecking Ball
- Tone: Moody,Tense
- Keywords: aristocracy, blackmail, business, drunk-driving, hotel, mistress
- Language: English