Plot & Details
Adapted from acclaimed author Richard Matheson's influential novelette of the same name, Constantine director Francis Lawrence's I Am Legend follows the last man on Earth as he struggles to survive while fending off the infected survivors of a devastating vampiric plague. A brilliant scientist who raced to discover a cure for the man-made virus as humanity came crumbling down all around him, Robert Neville (Will Smith) was inexplicably immune to the highly contagious superbug. Now the entire population of New York City -- and perhaps the world -- has been transformed into carnivorous bloodsuckers that fear the light and live solely to spread their contagion to any remaining living creature that crosses their path. It's been three years since civilization came to an end, and the loneliness has taken a devastating toll on Neville. By day he scours the city for food and supplies while sending out desperate radio messages in hopes that someone might respond, and by night he attempts to find a way to reverse the effects of the virus by experimenting with his own blood. But time is running out for Neville as the legions of infected watch his every move from the safety of the shadows, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. They, too, long to learn the secret that lurks in Neville's blood, though they will have to take caution while attempting to procure it because Neville will sooner die attempting to slay every last one of them than willingly giving up a single drop. Previously adapted for the screen in the 1964 Vincent Price frightener The Last Man on Earth and the 1971 Charlton Heston action film The Omega Man, Matheson's novelette also served as the inspiration for George A. Romero's groundbreaking zombie classic Night of the Living Dead.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Action,Drama,Science Fiction
- Run Time: 100min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/14/2007
- DVD Release Date: 03/18/2008
- Distributor(s): Warner Bros.
- Director(s): Francis Lawrence
- Starring: Will Smith , Alice Braga , Charlie Tahan , Salli Richardson , Willow Smith
- Themes: Plagues and Epidemics,Mutants,Post-Apocalypse
- Tone: Disturbing,Grim,Tense,Nocturnal,Creepy,Ominous
- Keywords: city, civilization, devastation, last-man, loneliness, plague, scientist, survivor, vampire, virus
- Country of Origin: USA (12-14-2007)
- Language: English