Plot & Details
The story of Philadelphia-based rock 'n' roll starmaker Bob Marcucci is given a pointed a clef treatment in The Idolmaker. Ray Sharkey plays Vincent Vacarri, who takes a couple of raw young kids (Peter Gallagher and Paul Land) and molds them into teen idols. If Gallagher and Land seem at times to be clones of Fabian and Frankie Avalon, then you've gotten the point. As played by Sharkey, Vacarri comes off as both maven and monster: he gives his boys everything they need professionally and everything they want personally, but it's subliminally clear that his interest is purely mercenary (incredibly, Bob Marcucci is the film's technical advisor). An excellent, clear-eyed view of show biz mechanics, The Idolmaker falters only in its anachronisms, notably the style of music performed by Vacarri's proteges.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Drama,Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 119min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/27/2005
- DVD Release Date: 04/25/2000
- Director(s): Taylor Hackford
- Starring: Ray Sharkey , Paul Land , Olympia Dukakis , Peter Gallagher , Joe Pantoliano
- Themes: Ladder to the Top,Rags To Riches,Pygmalion Stories
- Tone: Biting,Cynical,Gritty
- Keywords: celebrity,music-business,music-star,pop-culture,show-business,singer,talent-agent
- Language: English