Plot & Details
The Italian "directing siblings" Paolo and Vittorio Taviani were responsible for this intriguing slice of working-class life. Saverio Marconi plays Giovanni, a Milan youth who heads to poverty-plagued Tuscany to sell some property. Giovanni falls in with several smalltown "rebels", including clerk Eugenia (Isabelle Rosselini in her film debut) and activist Enzo (Michele Placido). A romantic triangle ensues, followed by grandiose dreams of establishing a Utopian youth society--until Reality makes a wake-up call. The Tavianis had originally wanted to film The Meadow with amateur actors, but ultimately gave up trying to coax workable performances from these novices and went with professionals. The film was released in Italy as Il Prato.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 120min.
- Director(s): Paolo Taviani, Vittorio Taviani
- Starring: Michele Placido , Saverio Marconi , Isabella Rossellini , Giulio Brogi
- Themes: Love Triangles,Fighting the System
- Tone: Matter-of-Fact,Stylized,Understated
- Keywords: Italian [nationality], activism, love-triangle, working-class, youth
- Country of Origin: Italy (09-06-1979)