Plot & Details
Eschewing the Shakespearean original title (it's a quote from A Midsummer Night's Dream), the British Ill Met by Moonlight was released stateside as Night Ambush. This superb Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger concoction is set during World War II on the island of Crete. Dirk Bogarde and David Oxley play Major Paddy Leigh Fermer and Captain Billy Stanley Moss, two British officers whose job it is to kidnap Nazi general Karl Kreipe (Marius Goring) and spirit him off to Cairo. The motive of this mission is to weaken German morale on Crete and to provide hope to the enslaved locals. With the help of a group of resistance fighters, Fermer and Moss manage to trap the general; now they must transport their captive back to their own lines, avoiding German patrols every inch of the way. Originally 104 minutes, Ill Met by Moonlight was cut to 93 minutes by its American distributor.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Action,Crime and Mystery,Drama,Thriller,War
- Run Time: 104min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/13/2005
- Director(s): Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger
- Starring: Dirk Bogarde , Marius Goring , David Oxley , Cyril Cusack , Laurence Payne
- Themes: Military Life,Perfect Crime
- Tone: Tense
- Keywords: General, manhunt, kidnapping, war