Plot & Details
Glenn Close and James Woods star in this artery-clogging schmaltz about a childless couple who desperately want to have a baby. Linda (Close) and Michael Spector (Woods) are an upscale couple who have everything -- except a child. Linda mists over after she takes her temperature, plans the correct time for conception, and then her period starts. Despite medical intervention, the Spectors cannot conceive. They finally decide to adopt a child and meet the pregnant 17-year-old Lucy (Mary Stuart Masterson), who decides that the Spectors can provide a better home for her child than she and her boyfriend Sam (Kevin Dillon) could. The Spectors look Lucy over and determine -- since Lucy's mother died when she was seven -- to take care of her during her pregnancy. The three bond as they await the birth of Lucy's child. But now Lucy has second thoughts about the decision to turn her baby over to the Spectors. The solution for this happy group? Adopt Lucy and become the "immediate family."
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/27/1989
- DVD Release Date: 04/22/2003
- Distributor(s): Columbia Pictures
- Director(s): Jonathan Kaplan
- Starring: Glenn Close , James Woods , Mary Stuart Masterson , Kevin Dillon , Linda Darlow
- Themes: Class Differences,Adoption,Expecting a Baby
- Tone: Intimate,Poignant,Tearjerking
- Keywords: adoption, childlessness, class-clash, infertility, pregnancy, surrogate-mother
- Country of Origin: USA (10-27-1989)
- Language: English