Plot & Details
Amandine Aurore Lucie Dupin, better known in the literary world as George Sand, not only took a man's name, but trotted around wearing pants and smoking cigars in public. No great shakes today, but in the 1800s she was perhaps the most famous (or infamous) woman in the world. One of the first original celebrities, aside from her garb and literary output, she was known to inspire many duels and broken hearts among other famous hedonist artists. One character describes her in Impromptu, as "that graveyard." The film engages in a sexual roundelay among Sand's (Judy Davis) many friends -- Eugene Delacroix (Ralph Brown), Alfred DeMusset (Mandy Patinkin), Franz Liszt (Julian Sands), and Frederick Chopin (Hugh Grant). The entire crew heads off to the summer estate of the Duke and Duchess d'Antan (Anton Rodgers and Emma Thompson), invited there by the culture-vulture hosts. Sand takes a bead on the sickly Chopin and spends her time throwing herself at him. Also on hand is Liszt's mistress Marie d'Agoult (Bernadette Peters) and Felicien Mallefille (Georges Corraface), Sand's recently jilted lover. Mallefille is jealous of any of the other guests who glance in Sand's direction and continually challenges them to duels. Marie, on the other hand, is enlisted by Sand to deliver a note to Chopin. But Marie, jealous of Sand, delivers the note substituting her name for Sand's. And as the weekend continues, the sexual merry-go-round continues at full tilt.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy,Romance
- Run Time: 108min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/12/1991
- DVD Release Date: 03/19/2002
- Distributor(s): Hemdale
- Director(s): James Lapine
- Starring: Judy Davis , Hugh Grant , Mandy Patinkin , Bernadette Peters , Julian Sands
- Themes: Life in the Arts,Opposites Attract,Bohemian Life
- Tone: Enigmatic,Racy,Stylish,Elegant,Passionate,Stylized,Witty,Humorous,Quirky
- Keywords: artist, composer, poet, romance, writing, homosexual, love, love-triangle, obsession
- Country of Origin: USA (04-12-1991)
- Language: English