Plot & Details
Anton and his wife Marianne, who have two young sons, are separated and struggling with the possibility of divorce. Their older, ten-year-old son Elias is being bullied at school, until he is defended by Christian, a new boy who has just moved from London with his father, Claus. Christian's mother recently lost her battle with cancer, and Christian is greatly troubled by her death.
Elias and Christian quickly form a strong bond, but when Christian involves Elias in a dangerous act of revenge with potentially tragic consequences, their friendship is tested and lives are put in danger. Ultimately, it is their parents who are left to help them come to terms with the complexity of human emotions, pain and empathy.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 113min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/01/2011
- DVD Release Date: 08/30/2011
- Distributor(s): Sony Pictures Classics
- Director(s): Susanne Bier
- Starring: Mikael Persbrandt , Trine Dyrholm , Ulrich Thomsen , Markus Rygaard , William Jøhnk Nielsen
- Themes: Death of a Parent,Doctors and Patients,Dangerous Friends,Single Parents,Fathers and Sons,Dysfunctional Families
- Tone: Earnest,Intimate,Poignant,Cathartic,Disturbing,Reflective
- Keywords: Danish [nationality], Kenya, friendship, pacifism, refugee-camp, revenge, schoolchildren
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-01-2011)
- Language: Danish,English,Swedish