Plot & Details
War turns two strangers into lovers at a most inopportune moment in this made-for-TV drama based on a true story. Eric Newby (Callum Blue) is a British soldier, who, while on a mission behind enemy lines during World War II, is captured by Axis troops and taken to a makeshift P.O.W. camp located in an abandoned orphanage in Italy. Eric is able to escape easily enough, but soon discovers that German troops are blanketing the area, determined to capture the prisoners who've gotten away. Wanda (Barboura Bonulova), a woman living in a nearby village, takes in the runaway and saves his life by hiding him from the Germans. In order to help Eric disguise himself as a villager, Wanda begins teaching him how to speak Italian; as they spend more time together, Eric and Wanda find themselves falling in love, but the war that brought them together could also tear them apart at any moment. Adapted from Eric Newby's memoirs of his wartime experiences, In Love and War was first aired as part of the award-winning anthology series The Hallmark Hall of Fame.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 98min.
- DVD Release Date: 02/26/2002
- Director(s): John Kent Harrison
- Starring: Callum Blue , Barbora Bobulova , Peter Bowles
- Themes: Behind Enemy Lines
- Tone: Passionate,Poignant,Tearjerking
- Keywords: Axis-Powers, Italian [nationality], Italian-language, POW (Prisoner of War), disguise, escape, soldier, village
- Language: English