Plot & Details
When a model soldier who recently returned to the U.S. from the front lines of Iraq goes AWOL, his veteran father enlists the aid of a dedicated police detective in seeking out his son's true fate in director/screenwriter Paul Haggis' follow up to the Oscar-winning 2004 indie-hit Crash. Mike Deerfield (Jonathan Tucker) has served his country faithfully, and now the time has come for him to return home to the United States. Shortly after returning, however, Mike simply vanishes without a trace. Mike's father, Hank (Tommy Lee Jones), is a former MP from the Vietnam era, and quickly recruits Detective Emily Sanders (Charlize Theron) to assist him in his search for the missing soldier. While it remains to be seen whether Hank will ever find his missing son, he gets quickly enmeshed in a tangled web of intrigue, cover-ups, and murder, all related to the Iraqi conflict. The drama thus highlights the profoundly personal toll combat takes on soldiers, while striking at the very heart of the American experience in Iraq. Inspired by a Playboy Magazine article written by Mark Boal, Haggis's fictionalized version of the actual events co-stars Jason Patrick, Susan Sarandon, James Franco, and Josh Brolin.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 121min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/14/2007
- DVD Release Date: 02/19/2008
- Distributor(s): Warner Independent
- Director(s): Paul Haggis
- Starring: Tommy Lee Jones , Charlize Theron , Jason Patric , Susan Sarandon , James Franco
- Themes: Home From the War,Fathers and Sons,Amateur Sleuths,Military Life,Missing Persons
- Tone: Melancholy,Somber,Forceful,Confrontational
- Keywords: AWOL (Absent Without Leave),front-line,missing-person,retirement,soldier,veteran [military]
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-14-2007),USA (09-21-2007)
- Language: English