Plot & Details
Gregory Ratoff directed David O. Selznick's richly produced American remake of the Swedish film directed by Gustav Molander and starring Ingrid Bergman, who re-creates her role here. The story -- based on the original screenplay by Molander and Gosta Stevens -- concerns a love affair played out between famed concert violinist Holger Brandt (Leslie Howard) and a young pianist, Anita Hoffman (Ingrid Bergman). Holger has just finished a grand tour and has returned to his home country of Sweden, into the arms of his wife Margit (Edna Best) and two children, Ann Marie (Ann Todd) and Eric (Douglas Scott). But soon Holger falls deeply in love with his children's piano teacher Anita. Holger asks Margit for a divorce, but she demurs, telling Holger he should take time to think the whole thing through. Holger and Anita travel abroad, and Anita becomes acclaimed as a pianist -- but Holger keeps looking at other people's children and begins to wonder whether he should go back to his family.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Drama,Romance
- Run Time: 70min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 10/20/2008
- DVD Release Date: 10/19/2004
- Director(s): Gregory Ratoff
- Starring: Leslie Howard , Ingrid Bergman , Edna Best , John Halliday , Cecil Kellaway
- Themes: Infidelity,Love Triangles,Musician's Life
- Tone: Bittersweet,Melancholy,Passionate,Poignant
- Keywords: love-triangle, piano, violinist, divorce, extramarital-affair, love-choices, love-vs-duty, romance
- Language: English