Plot & Details
A man who has spent much of his life dealing with grief finally has more than he knows what to do with in this independent drama. Walter Hartwig Jr. (Sean Patrick Flanery) is a New York City cop who is haunted by the death of his sister, who drowned at Coney Island when he was a boy. Hartwig saw his sister die and has felt responsible ever since. Every year on her birthday, he has himself thrown into the ocean as penance, and works with the NYPD Harbor Unit in hope of someday paying back his act of childhood negligence. After a passenger jet crashes into the ocean near the city, Hartwig is sent out to help, and is mesmerized by the sight of Sabrina Hampton (Melina Kanakaredes), a musician who died in the accident. Sabrina reminds him of his sister, and he sets out to find her twin sister, who worked as a teacher but has been traumatized by her loss and now refuses to leave her apartment. As Hartwig begins losing touch with reality, he finds solace when he strikes up a friendship with June Sickles (JoBeth Williams). June lost her son, who was a police officer, on September 11, 2001, and since then has been raising his daughter, giving her plenty of experience in dealing with the harsh side of fate. Into the Fire was the first feature film from writer and director Michael Phelan.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 95min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/23/2005
- DVD Release Date: 04/03/2007
- Distributor(s): Independent Artists
- Director(s): Michael Phelan
- Starring: Sean Patrick Flanery , Melina Kanakaredes , JoBeth Williams , Ed Lauter
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Air Disasters,Death in the Family,Intersecting Lives
- Tone: Cathartic,Downbeat,Elegiac,Moody,Somber
- Keywords: granddaughter, music-teacher, plane-crash, police-officer
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-23-2005)
- Language: English