An already-unstable household becomes a virtual battle zone when the son of a risqué comedienne and a has-been singer finds mom meddling in his love life in director Cherie Nowlan's dysfunctional romantic comedy. Twenty-one-year-old Tim Dwight (Khan Chittenden) comes from a peculiar family; his mother, Jean (Brenda Blethyn), is a bawdy stage comic renowned for her scatological sense of humor and his father, John (Frankie J. Holden), is a faded country-music star who now works as a low-rent security guard. While dad is busy trying to revive his flat-lined career, mom spends most of her time doting on Tim and his developmentally disabled brother, Mark (Richard Wilson). Upon meeting the beautiful Jill (Emma Booth), Tim believes his may have finally found the woman of his dreams. Unfortunately in Jean's eyes there is only room for one woman in Tim's life, and that woman is his mother. As Tim's relationship with Jill grows increasingly serious, the stage is set for a battle royal between the woman who once gave him life and the prospective mother of his future children.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 106min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/04/2007
- DVD Release Date: 02/12/2008
- Distributor(s): Warner Independent
Frankie J. Holden
- Themes: Big Break,Living With Disability,All Washed Up,Sibling Relationships,Eccentric Families,Single Parents,Mothers and Sons
- Tone: Wistful,Raunchy,Biting,Bittersweet,Sentimental
comedian, dysfunctional, mother, relationship, romance, son
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (07-04-2007)
- Language: English