Plot & Details
Gaspar Noé's Irreversible utilizes the same storytelling technique used by Christopher Nolan in Memento and Harold Pinter in Betrayal. Consisting of about a dozen scenes, all shot in single takes, Irreversible charts a disturbing night in the life of Marcus (Vincent Cassel), but presents the events in reverse chronological order. The audience eventually learns how the beautiful Alex (Cassel's real-life partner Monica Bellucci) is involved. The film opens with a violent altercation at a gay sex club and works backward to explain how and why the violence occurred. The actors improvised the vast majority of the dialogue starting from a four-page story outline. Irreversible was screened in competition at the 2002 Cannes Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Action,Drama,Horror
- Run Time: 99min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 03/07/2003
- DVD Release Date: 08/05/2003
- Distributor(s): Lions Gate Films
- Director(s): Gaspar Noé
- Starring: Monica Bellucci , Vincent Cassel , Albert Dupontel , Philippe Nahon , Jo Prestia
- Themes: Faltering Friendships,Mind Games,Woman In Jeopardy,Out For Revenge
- Tone: Claustrophobic,Confrontational,Tense,Menacing,Sexual,Lurid,Paranoid
- Keywords: French [nationality], brutality, gay-bashing, nightclub, rape, sodomy, violence
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (03-07-2003)
- Language: French