Plot & Details
A man trying to make his dying father happy makes his love life very complicated indeed in this musical comedy starring Deanna Durbin. Jonathan Reynolds Jr. (Robert Cummings) is the playboy son of multi-millionaire business magnate Jonathan Reynolds, Sr. (Charles Laughton). Junior has told his father that he's finally met the woman he's going to marry while on a recent trip to Mexico, and Father, who has been given a very short time to live by his doctors, wants to meet her right away. However, the woman in question is not available, so Junior persuades Anne Terry (Durbin), a hat-check girl and aspiring singer, to pose as his fiancée for the sake of his father's peace of mind. Father takes quite a liking to Anne, which is fine and good until he defies all the expectations of his doctors and makes a complete recovery. Now Father is spending a great deal of time with the woman he thinks is going to be his future daughter-in-law, and Junior isn't sure how to tell him that Anne isn't really the woman he wants to marry. As usual, Durbin sings several songs, including "Clavelitos" by Valverde and "Going Home," adapted from Symphony for the New World by Dvorak.
- MPAA Rating: Not Yet Rated
- Genre(s): Comedy,Family,Musicals
- Run Time: 90min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/14/2005
- Distributor(s): Universal
- Director(s): Henry Koster
- Starring: Deanna Durbin , Charles Laughton , Robert Cummings , Guy Kibbee , Margaret Tallichet
- Themes: Wedding Bells,Cons and Scams,Fathers and Sons
- Tone: Light,Warm
- Keywords: deception, father, fiancee, girl, multimillionaire, recovery [health], son, terminal-illness