Following their feature debut, Road to Nhill, in 1997, screenwriter Alison Tilson and director Sue Brooks team up again for the Australian drama Japanese Story. Toni Collette stars as Sandy Edwards, an ambitious geologist who is most comfortable when working alone. She also runs a software design company with a business partner, Bill Baird (Matthew Dyktynski), and she doesn't get along very well with her mother (Lynette Curran). While trying to sell their software products, Bill asks for her help in catching a prospective client. Sandy reluctantly meets the quiet and reserved Japanese businessman Hiromitsu (Gotaro Tsunashima) in order to make a sale. After he requests that she take him on a driving tour, the odd couple find themselves stranded in the Pilbara desert for a night -- one of the most remote places in the Australian outback. During this time together, their relationship quickly escalates and both parties are changed by the experience. Japanese Story premiered at the 2003 Cannes Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 105min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/31/2003
- DVD Release Date: 05/11/2004
- Distributor(s): Samuel Goldwyn
- Themes: Survival in the Wilderness,Culture Clash,Interracial/Cross-Cultural Romance
- Tone: Bittersweet,Dreamlike,Ominous,Deliberate,Intimate,Understated,Meditative
Australia, Outback, business, cross-cultural-relations, desert, extramarital-affair, geology, interracial, stranded
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (12-31-2003)
- Language: Japanese,English