Plot & Details
This stylish and very entertaining blend of the horror and "Blaxploitation" genres takes some creative risks on a seriously limited budget but manages to deliver the gory goods. The story begins in New Orleans in the mid-1940s, with black crime kingpin J.D. Walker (David McKnight) shot dead on Bourbon Street. Flash forward to the present, when clean-cut college student Ike (Cooley High's Glynn E. Turman) falls under the malevolent influence of the ghostly gangster. As he begins to exhibit J.D.'s boisterous, violent traits, Ike seeks out a local minister (Louis Gossett, Jr., in a standout performance) -- who had once played a role in the gangster's execution -- to exact his revenge. This cult favorite has seen a revival of sorts on home video and primarily remains in the public eye due to the novelty value of its soundtrack: all songs are performed by the artist soon to be known as The Artist Formerly Known As Prince -- who also supplies the vocal for " Will Never Let You Go".
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama,Horror,Thriller
- Run Time: 95min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 07/10/2005
- DVD Release Date: 12/26/2001
- Director(s): Arthur Marks
- Starring: Glynn E. Turman , Joan Pringle , Carl Crudup , James Louis Watkins
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Demonic Possession
- Tone: Creepy
- Keywords: Black [race], gangster, possession, revenge, supernatural, demon, demonic-possession, ghost
- Language: English